Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Thanksgiving of Hope



I wanted to post about Thanksgiving of course but I had to do something different, so I choose this picture because it reminds me of family and growth and being grateful and life and other such thanksgiving themes.

I would like to say that I am so grateful to have grown up in a two-parent home where morals and values were bestowed upon me. My mother worked evenings as a waitress but always found the time to cook us dinner EVERYDAY. She packed school lunches, made us breakfast and also helped to support our family financially. My father worked during the day and when we he got home from work would heat up the home cooked meal my mother had worked so hard on before she had to leave for work. That is what a family means to me: everybody working together to get things done.

Growing up I was the only kid who's parents were married to eachother and lived in the same household. I couldn't understand why none of my friends were around on the weekends. I know it now but then it just didn't make sense to me. My parents are the two most important people in my life. They taught me that while life may and most of the time be unfair and grueling if you stick it out together, things can and will get better.

So on this day of Thanks I'd like to acknowledge my wonderful, supportive and still married parents who have shown me more love than anyone else in this world. I love both of you dearly.

Happy Thanksgiving Blogosphere!

10 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving. (:

    I love that picture btw.

    This post reminds me of a kid I used to know in school, she was one of the very few who still had a decent home life. It's awesome but sad at the same time at how many families are broken up nowadays. You are truly one of the fortunate ones. Congrats to your parents for making it as far as they did. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gavin
    I do believe that I am infact one of the lucky ones and I don't ever forget that! I LOVE that my parents are still married and only as I have gotten older and had my own failed relationships can I truly understand the sanction of marriage. Hope you're having a great thanksgiving, enjoy the feast, but no dope k?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrissy,
    Thanks for commenting that my post was beautiful, that truly means a lot to me; my family is just so important to me. I've read your posts about your dad so I know that you feel this same way; hang in there. Know that there's someone over here in PA that is thinking of you and hoping for the best. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good people tend to come from good people. What a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I probably grew up in your parents time and my parents were only the second set of parents to separate...it was scandalous to divorce back then and that made it a bit more challenging for everyone. That having been said, I'm thankful for how everyone pulled together and, all these years later, we all sit down to the same Thanksgiving table together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. tattytiara,
    your'e absolutely right, "good people come from good people". I can only hope that if I get the chance to raise a family of my own that I will be half as good as my parents were! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, they're always appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PJ
    Wow I think that's an incredible feat, for divorced people to get along well enough to sit down to a family dinner; your parents must be pretty awesome people and have a feeling of family deep in their hearts, good for you! Cherish that most people don't have what we do and I'll be grateful for them forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BEAUTIFUL post, girl!

    I could FEEL your love of your parents in your words - very touching.

    And they raised an AWESOME daughter!

    I too grew up with parents who stayed married and were INCREDIBLY supportive, loving, caring. I feel so freakin' blessed to have had them as my parents.

    I'm Italian, and to Italians...it's all about the family unit.

    * and of course, EATING - HA!

    Hope you had a spectacular Thanksgiving Day, my PA friend!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ron,
    Aww that is so sweet of you to say, thank you so much! Yep that Italian thing is part of my life as well enough said. Thanks for stopping by my friend!

    ReplyDelete