Thursday, September 10, 2009

Students?

So I am finally home from "school" which is feeling more and more like a zoo than an institution of learning. I chose, after many years of waiting on tables and going nowhere, to better myself and get an education. I thought that was the reason for anybody who went to school. Apparently I was wrong in my perception of motivations. I am surrounded by a bunch of lazy, ungrateful, disrespectful, uneducated, ghetto students, and I use the term students loosely, whether I am in class or not. The chaos that consumes my classroom is ridiculous. Many of us are growing weary and frustrated that we are unable to learn, we are constantly disrupted by childlike behaviors. I am what is considered a "non-traditional" student which basically means I am an adult in every sense of the word, not just age but maturity and responsibility play into this factor. Now don't get me wrong I do not attend a major university or even a state school for that matter, but when I am spending close to $30,000 for my education I don't care if it is in the middle of the woods, I expect to learn and be able to hear myself think. This is not the case most of the time. My class this morning is a medical coding class and to do this you must be able to think. As I am trying to ignore the incessant chatter around me, a near-fist fight breaks out. I hear it start off as two girls bickering back and forth about some text message the other didn't like. This meaningless chatter starts to turn ugly quickly, words are spewing forth like lightning bolts, the noise level rises as well as the pressure in the room. Before an all-out physical altercation breaks out the instructor insists that the both of them leave class. Not only are they disrespectful to eachother and the rest of the class, now they are cussing at the teacher and refusing to leave. The entire charade lasted only a few minutes, but when you sit back and add all of these minutes that we get interupted each day the minutes turn into hours.

I cannot stand the total disregard that these kids have for other human beings. When did we begin to teach children that they are entitled to whatever it is that they want? Why would someone sign up for school and then bitch and moan when homework is assigned? I was not the most scholarly in high school, I'll admit that, but I did not blatenly disrespect my teachers or other students. These people are from a different world than I was raised in. In my day, God I hate saying that!, we were taught to raise our hands and wait to be called upon. No not today, they call out questions no matter who the instructor is speaking with and they expect an answer now, not later. How fucking rude can you be? I hate them all. I am there to learn so that I can one day get a better job and be able to support myself and my family. I just wish that these kids would grow up and if they don't want to be there, then don't come! You'd be saving me a lot of headaches and frustration!

No comments:

Post a Comment