Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sadistic Dentist

I had my first-ever Root canal last night. In all honesty it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. That's not to say that I'd like to have another one done anytime soon! The thing is, how can I put this without making myself sound like a total infant?.........I am a big weinee. I don't like the dentist and I was pretty much panic-striken on my way there. I made it out to be the worst thing that could ever happen, and really it wasn't all that bad. I have to backup a little bit though and explain where this fear stems from.

Ok so I hadn't been to the dentist in about 15 years. Don't give me that look, I was UNINSURED and couldn't justify selling my body for a floride treatment. Anyway, along with my "new" career comes benefits, so I did the adult thing to do: I made an appoinment for a cleaning. I knew the one of my back molars had a huge gaping hole in it but really as long as I made sure to chew on the right side of my mouth it didn't really cause too much trouble. I was hoping that the dentist would just rip it out and all would be well. Yea well who knew that dentists don't like to pull teeth?

Dr. Dunn tells me that "oh, no you are way too young for me to start pulling out teeth; they'll shift and you'll have other problems, overbite...periodontal disease, blah, blah...... I stopped listening after he said the words possible root canal. Oh crap.

He takes an xray and tells me he doesnt think it's that bad, he can save it with a little cleanup and a crown. Yea whatever, can I have my vicoden now? I had to go back this past Monday for him to "clean-it-up".

So I sit down in the chair and look over, there it is........the giant novacaine needle. Yep the one I've been having nightmares of since last week. He gives me the shot on the side of the cheek, it pinched and burned but was over shortly..not too bad. Then he comes in my mouth again and I'm prepared for another cheek shot; oh no this sadist drives this 4 foot needle into the roof of my mouth! OMFG! Tears immediately welled in my eyes and my whole entire body was tensed up, I swear if I wasn't stiff as a board I would've reached over and fucking kicked him, that hurt so bad!

He starts his drilling and whatever and then breaks the news: "well it's all the way down to the root, you need a root canal". WTF?

I go see his associate, Heather, who was the most gentle creature alive. I get in the chair and immediately I go into panic mode, I just know that damn needle is going to rip into the roof of my mouth and I'm scared. I must have looked pretty pathetic. I'm a grown woman but I'm telling you I was so anxious I was in tears. I asked her if she was gonna do that roof of the mouth shot and the angel says to me: "oh i only do that if it is absolutely necessary, I'm going to numb your cheek first and then give you the novacaine and if that doesn't work I'll try other spots before I resort to the palette". I instanly fell in love with this woman.

Needless to say, Dr. Heather did not have to do the roof of my mouth and I am forever grateful to her for that! Also I am changing dentists, Dr. Dunn is a fucking sadist!

1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with you. i don't care how old I am, I will always become panic stricken when it comes to needles.

    ReplyDelete